Back to basics

David Edmundson david at davidedmundson.co.uk
Fri Aug 17 22:52:52 UTC 2012

Some of the stuff discussed here overlaps with the "Extra Mile"
project being run by Aurelien, myself and KDE Quality team.

The idea is we make a big list of very minor small annoying bugs, and
encourage people to help file these, and in the meantime we blog
trying to encourage developers not to just hack within the comfort of
their own application (which we tend to do) but to go through all KDE
polishing all the neglected little things.

So for example, encouraging people to report a very very _specific_
bug that keyboard navigation is non-existant in the battery applet (to
pick a completely random example), and also at the same time drumming
up resources to fix them. Or a bug on each icon that's a different
size in the sys-tray, or any window that opens at a ridiculous stupid
initial size, etc. etc.

This is already an established WIP, we've bootstrapped the initial
list of minor bugs to fix, we've got a plan, started on some
blog/promo. It's all pretty much just pending for the main guy leading
the program to get back from holiday and for us to get over the
Kubuntu rush before we hit with blog posts, bug reports and patches.

I think this "shaping it up/back to basics" program would be worth
looking at "joining forces.", it's all very well saying we're going to
do something, but making patches is the only thing that matters.

[1] http://community.kde.org/Getinvolved/Extra_Mile
[2] http://agateau.com/2012/06/28/walking-the-extra-mile/