ScreenSaver and KDE Plasma 4.8?

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Fri Sep 30 09:37:56 UTC 2011

 On Fri, 30 Sep 2011 11:27:23 +0200, todd rme <toddrme2178 at gmail.com>
 wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 11:11 AM, Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org>
> wrote:
>> On Friday, September 30, 2011 07:48:28 todd rme wrote:
>>> What about implementing a screensaver plasma wallpaper backend?
>>>  This
>>
>> this would require significant changes to Plasma::Wallpaper and a
>> lot of
>> changes to how the painting is handled there. i don't think this is
>> realistic option before frameworks 5 is released.
>
> Okay, but hopefully this is a goal since it would solve all the
> problems.
 No it wouldn't and I don't want us seeing tying ourselve more to X in
 Frameworks 5. The existing screensavers won't work with Wayland
 anyway...

> In the meantime, what about running a transparent version of the new
> locker with a non-locked screensaver underneath it?  I know this is a
> bit hackish, but I really thing we would see a serious revolty if
> screensaver support was removed.  People really like their
> screensavers.
 Quite simple: security. The main reason of the change is to have the
 locker secure. If we add translucency to it and see the screen saver
 underneath we get to the problem again that the savers aren't secure.

 Cheers
 Martin