Thoughts about statusbar

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Oct 27 11:01:55 UTC 2011

On Thursday, October 27, 2011 12:26:47 Alex Fiestas wrote:
> > a) superfluous to the user (kmail's composer window)
> > b) useful, but should be put elsewhere
> > c) moving it elsewhere wouldn't result in any visual or usage
> > improvements,
> > so is justified in usage
>
> If we ban the statusbar usage for the general use allowing only exceptions
> like rekonq, then moving things elsewhere will be an improvement since it
> will help the global experience.

agreed ...

> So I will turn C into a "Only allowing exceptions".

sounds good ..

> Based on some past experience, I do not recommend asking for feedback in
> k-c- d,

i do it on a semi-regular basis and tend to have good results. certainly not
100%, but much better than others seem to have. probably because these days i
try and go only with fully formulated proposals along with a statement of
intended action. iow, i don't ask, i share what our plans are. seems to work
fairly well.

> we should setup a single place to discuss all this "Overall
> experience" stuff for example I'm thinking in a kde-workspace mailist.

kde-workspace would be the wrong nomenclature as it already has a meaning
(it's what we do in Plasma) and does not cover the applications or
platform/frameworks. this is quite intentional and i'd personally appreciate
it not being breached :)

we have tried in the past things like "kde-usability" and that doesn't work
out well either as it attracts the wrong sorts (along with some of the right
sorts) and they tend to burn people out while not enough people who just Do
The Work(tm) show up.

i don't have a good answer for this, but whatever it is it has to sound boring
and like it means doing actual work to keep away the peanut gallery while
clear enough that it's about holistic design. personally, i'm not even
convinced we need such a mailing list at all.

humru othro a kohnu se