Thoughts about statusbar

Alex Fiestas afiestas at kde.org
Thu Oct 27 10:26:47 UTC 2011

> a) superfluous to the user (kmail's composer window)
> b) useful, but should be put elsewhere
> c) moving it elsewhere wouldn't result in any visual or usage improvements,
> so is justified in usage
If we ban the statusbar usage for the general use allowing only exceptions
like rekonq, then moving things elsewhere will be an improvement since it will
help the global experience.

So I will turn C into a "Only allowing exceptions".

> with the three categories you outlined, and the third broken down into 3
> subcategories, i think we'd have something that could be formulated into a
> firm statement (i'd suggest doing something on community.kde.org to draft
> it, later if it becomes part of The KDE Way it could be moved to techbase).
> then we can get some of the interaction designers around KDE to look at it
> and offer suggestions and provide their support. then post an announcement
> to k-c- d about the page, ask for feedback and then, and this is the most
> important part, start generating patches for applications to make them fall
> in line.
Based on some past experience, I do not recommend asking for feedback in k-c-
d, we should setup a single place to discuss all this "Overall experience"
stuff for example I'm thinking in a kde-workspace mailist.

In the same way that we have learn to respect and to support the kde-promo
team, the KDE community should learn to respect and support the "kde-
workspace" team, on where of course interaction experts and designers will
rule the place instead of developers like myself.

Going to start another thread to discuss that.