How to do a Plasma runner which only triggers once the query string is complete?

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau kossebau at kde.org
Fri Oct 21 15:40:01 UTC 2011

Ping... so, noone any idea?

On marble-devel Anders proposed to wait until user stops typing, but from what
I could see there is no way to make use of that here, right?

So is the only option really some kind of end-keyword? :(

Lundi, le 17 octobre 2011, à 20:32, Friedrich W. H. Kossebau a écrit:
> Hi,
>
> (cc:ing marble-devel for heads-up, please follow-ups only on plasma-devel)
>
> I would like to do a Plasma runner which reuses the runners that Marble,
> your favourite celestial body watcher, has. Yes, Marble has also runners:
> In the "Navigation" sidebar, in the edit field below "Search" the user can
> enter a term, and the Marble runners will try to resolve it to some
> description+coordinates (see [0] for a screenshot, [1] and [2] for more
> informations on Marble runners). Examples to enter are addresses,
> coordinates, or even ip addresses (to see where your friendly blogpost
> commenting person has her homebase, well, or that of her last tor server).
>
> [0] http://techbase.kde.org/images.techbase/e/e9/MiddleOfNowhere.png
> [1] http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Marble#Marble_Runner
> [2] http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Marble/RunnerHOWTO
>
> Problem now is:
> while Plasma runners try to resolve on every change of the entered string
> as it seems, the Marble runners only try to resolve once Enter is pressed,
> i.e. they only try to resolve for the full string (e.g. to reduce traffic
> to and load on OSM servers)
>
> One solution would be to have some kind of "end" marker, so the Marble
> runners would be only run once the query string to match has that "end"
> marker. Does not feel to nice, needs learning of that end marker, so not
> my favourite solution.
>
> Any other proposals? Did not find a similar runner yet which faces the same
> problem, to copy from.
>
> BTW:
> Already started another Plasma Runner for Marble which provides showing
> lonlat coordinates or matched Marble bookmarks in a new Marble instance
> using the OpenStreetMap map, that part works fine for me.
> Still do welcome any review of the Plasma code, so please have a look at
> https://git.reviewboard.kde.org/r/102849/
> It will end up in the Marble codebase.

And no comments on that Plasma Runner code in that merge request means it is
just fine? :)

Cheers
Friedrich