How to do a Plasma runner which only triggers once the query string is complete?

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau kossebau at kde.org
Mon Oct 17 18:32:29 UTC 2011

Hi,

(cc:ing marble-devel for heads-up, please follow-ups only on plasma-devel)

I would like to do a Plasma runner which reuses the runners that Marble, your
favourite celestial body watcher, has. Yes, Marble has also runners: In the
"Navigation" sidebar, in the edit field below "Search" the user can enter a
term, and the Marble runners will try to resolve it to some
description+coordinates (see [0] for a screenshot, [1] and [2] for more
informations on Marble runners). Examples to enter are addresses, coordinates,
or even ip addresses (to see where your friendly blogpost commenting person
has her homebase, well, or that of her last tor server).

[0] http://techbase.kde.org/images.techbase/e/e9/MiddleOfNowhere.png
[1] http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Marble#Marble_Runner
[2] http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Marble/RunnerHOWTO

Problem now is:
while Plasma runners try to resolve on every change of the entered string as
it seems, the Marble runners only try to resolve once Enter is pressed, i.e.
they only try to resolve for the full string (e.g. to reduce traffic to and
load on OSM servers)

One solution would be to have some kind of "end" marker, so the Marble runners
would be only run once the query string to match has that "end" marker. Does
not feel to nice, needs learning of that end marker, so not my favourite
solution.

Any other proposals? Did not find a similar runner yet which faces the same
problem, to copy from.

BTW:
Already started another Plasma Runner for Marble which provides showing lonlat
coordinates or matched Marble bookmarks in a new Marble instance using the
OpenStreetMap map, that part works fine for me.
Still do welcome any review of the Plasma code, so please have a look at
https://git.reviewboard.kde.org/r/102849/
It will end up in the Marble codebase.

Cheers
Friedrich