the utter failure of bugzilla (and us?)

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Fri May 27 07:30:06 CEST 2011

On Thursday, May 26, 2011 10:22:06 Anne-Marie Mahfouf wrote:
> Week-end of 4th - 5th June or 11th-12th or next one? I can setup a community

the platform sprint is next week, so those first dates won't work. 11/12th
might ...

but before we go charging off on a bug crush weekend, i'd like to have some
clarity on what we are trying to achieve with our bug handling processes.

e.g. it seems that to be effective we need a more agressive categorization of
bugs into useful products/categories such as:

* libplasma, probably divided out into functional areas  (SVG,
DataEngine/Services, Widgets, etc)
* one product per shell
* one product per plugin

(this, btw, is an area that i find bugzilla is not very easy to work with)

guidelines for when we close a bug without prejudice, e.g. "more than N
releases old, insufficient feedback from user, non-critical functionality". we
can't just keep letting reports float around because we're too concerned about
closing things that might be able to be closed if magical fairies appear in
bugzilla ;)

we need some way of gathering useful information for reference such as common
backtrace "fingerprints" that point to invalid reports or known
upstream/downstream issues somewhere that we can all find it and add to it.
community.kde.org seems like a good place.

i suggested to asraniel on irc that he picks a few plugins at "random",
gathers all the reports up on those, and then we focus on those BR's for the
next few weeks. repeat ...

i'd really like to see us have, in other words, something like a strategy
before we go off trying to slay the dragons :)

> webpage with batches of 5 reports

if we take just the most recently reported half of the reports, that's 150
batches of 5! :)

humru othro a kohnu se