the utter failure of bugzilla (and us?)

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu May 26 22:10:22 CEST 2011

On Thursday, May 26, 2011 20:05:11 Ben Cooksley wrote:
> Sorry to rain on the parade, but it has to be done unfortunately.

let me return the favour then ;)

bugzilla in its current state is not sufficient. we can offer all the reasons
we want to as to why it will be hard to move away from it or why we should
stick with it. it does not change the reality that right now our workflow is
not just crap, it is non-existent.

we have a lot more than just bugzilla to look at however. we also have our
team and social practices to examine and re-tool.

i'm done with us keeping our heads in the sand, however.

> Third - Nobody here has contacted sysadmin to find our current plans
> with regard to Bugzilla. Assuming everything goes well, Bugzilla will

because we don't quite yet know what we need yet either. sysadmin is not the
first stop on our way to understanding our needs :)

honestly, i'm less interested in us looking at software options as i am at us
figuring out what support we need from a defect tracker and how we'd like to
mold our practices around it.

i'm happy it sysadmin does the solution shopping with that information in
hand.

> Do note that simply changing the bug tracker will not increase the
> number of people which triage the bugs we currently have, nor will it

but it can allow us to be more effective and efficient with triage, allowing
us to keep up better.

> fix the issue of users being permitted to report bugs freely. And

no, but we could address this at the same time

> changing the bug tracker would also completely break DrKonqi.

that's a very real issue indeed

> Restricting users based on their "karma" or other measures would not
> be a publicly acceptable measure either I guess (although placing them

i think we need to place more emphasis on enabling developers to be effective
rather than making cranky users feel better at the cost of our productivity
and therefore the resulting quality of the product.

humru othro a kohnu se