the utter failure of bugzilla (and us?)

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Thu May 26 10:05:11 CEST 2011

Sorry to rain on the parade, but it has to be done unfortunately.

First - Sysadmin decided long ago that KDE would be using a single bug
tracker - and that we would maintain only one bug tracker. Hence why
the bug tracking capabilities of Redmine are disabled.

Second - I suspect that all the options that have been floated so far
would collapse under the sheer number of bugs KDE currently has. Note
that sysadmin will not permit the discarding of the current content of
the KDE Bugzilla instance. It isn't permissible - it has to be
imported into the new installation (if one were to be setup)

Third - Nobody here has contacted sysadmin to find our current plans
with regard to Bugzilla. Assuming everything goes well, Bugzilla will
be moved at some point in the future to a much more powerful server,
and will be upgraded to Bugzilla 4. Further, plans to implement a
Sphinx based search backend to Bugzilla have been floated.

Do note that simply changing the bug tracker will not increase the
number of people which triage the bugs we currently have, nor will it
fix the issue of users being permitted to report bugs freely. And
changing the bug tracker would also completely break DrKonqi.

Restricting users based on their "karma" or other measures would not
be a publicly acceptable measure either I guess (although placing them
into a different category probably would be accepted - but Bugzilla
does that anyway). Note that Bugzilla itself is capable of restricting
users from commenting/posting new bugs/etc as far as I am aware.

Regards,
Ben