the utter failure of bugzilla (and us?)

Beat Wolf wolf at fryx.ch
Wed May 25 19:48:51 CEST 2011

Without reading all replies, i think i know the mayor issue.

Most plasma components have no maintainer. They are simply ignored because
nobody feels responsible for them.

Every component that has no maintainer, imho, should not even exist.
By maintainer i don't even mean a single person, it can be a group. But the
people that wrote the code and that know that component well enough, should
get a copy of the bugreport.

This will solve many issues. First, quite a few bugs are junior jobs. Somebody
that knows the code can quickly close them.
Secondly, if every component has a maintainer, they will know the bugs
reported for that component and quickly close duplicates. This is really not a
problem, there are perhaps between 10 and 50 open bugs per component (and
there would be less if they had a maintainer), so if a new bug arrives, the
person in charge would usually instantly know if it already exists.

That lack of maintainer is frankly one of the main reasons my motivation for
bugtriaging is very low at the moment. There is just no reason to triage the
bugs (assign them to the right component and close duplicates), if there is no
maintainer for those components and its just pure chance that somebody will
fall over it and fix it.

Now how that can be solved i'm not sure. I think it could be a first step to
simply add the people mentioned in the source files for each component to the
CC list of that component. Yes, its annoying to get bugreports, but if your
name is in that source file, imho you should take a certain responsability.

just my 2 cents

Beat asraniel Wolf

PS: i'm really happy this is aknowledged and that we can discuss a solution
for this.