which is the roadmap of kdeplasma-addons repository?

Giorgos Tsiapaliwkas terietor at gmail.com
Wed Jun 15 12:26:28 CEST 2011

On 15 June 2011 09:20, Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org> wrote:
> what would this achieve? the layout in the module is the "normal" one we have
> elsewhere. why would we or anyone else care how a plasmoid is implemented?
> note that right now all the plasmoids we ship have at least some C++ in them,
> so there isn't much to be gained at the moment by recategorizing them imho.
>
> a repository with QML/JS-only plasmoids would have a purpose...

you have a valid point.

> i think such a thing would really require a different system altogether. a git
> repository that is released with the SC is not useful for such a thing, and it
> requires

this also has to be discussed.

> those additions. i'd prefer something more focused for sending feedback (e.g.
> bugs) back to the original authors.

shouldn't we know the existence of the bugs?

> how will agregating plasmoids encourage people to hack on libs?

I meant that people with such a move will see that KDE is frameworks
with a desktop enviroment and not just a desktop enviroment

>> What do you think?
>
> i think having a place for 3rd party non-C++ plasmoids to be added and
> promoted is a good idea. i don't think it has anything to do with kdeplasma-
> addons, and i think we'd need to think hard about what such an effort would do
> better / different than kde-apps.org.

let me add to this,that all the decisions of the plasma community
should be taken with the consideration of the thread the "utter
failure of bugzilla"

> i also think that getting plasmate into the best shape possible is even more
> important than this.

i love the plasmate and i have set us a personal goal to be ready
until the end of summer.I will not start coding in something else
before the plasmate is ready and even then i don't think that i will
leave it.I like the idea of working constantly in a project and as we
have discussed in the #plasma i want the plasma SDK to reach its
maximum potential.I am not leaving the plasmate coding :)

On 15 June 2011 11:50, Marco Martin <notmart at gmail.com> wrote:
> the existence of a repository with only 3rd party qml plasmoids could make
> sense for promotional purpose, however it should be clear that:
> * bugs don't go in our bugzilla
> * they are not controlled by us, don't ask to us about changes/improvements to
> them
> * they can disappear from there any moment, if their quality goes south, are
> unmaintained or whatever
> * so no promises of stability of any kind from that repo
> * if one in there is really excellent, *could* (not necessarily;) go in
> kdeplasma-addonss

I couldn't say these better..
These points are very valid and we should work with these as a MUST!

Do you want to keep kdeplasma-addons as it is and to create a new
place for the plasma coders or to alter the kdeplasma-addons?