which is the roadmap of kdeplasma-addons repository?

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed Jun 15 12:59:27 CEST 2011

On Wednesday, June 15, 2011 13:26:28 Giorgos Tsiapaliwkas wrote:
> On 15 June 2011 09:20, Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org> wrote:
> > what would this achieve? the layout in the module is the "normal" one we
> > have elsewhere. why would we or anyone else care how a plasmoid is
> > implemented? note that right now all the plasmoids we ship have at
> > least some C++ in them, so there isn't much to be gained at the moment
> > by recategorizing them imho.
> >
> > a repository with QML/JS-only plasmoids would have a purpose...
>
> you have a valid point.
>
> > i think such a thing would really require a different system altogether.
> > a git repository that is released with the SC is not useful for such a
> > thing, and it requires
>
> this also has to be discussed.

then let's do so. imho, the audience that needs support is "people writing
addons for plasma applications who aren't us". the term "plasma applications"
can apply to the various plasma workspaces as well as apps using plasmoids now
such as skrooge or amarok (though the latter does their own odd scripting
things that imho make very little sense).

we write some addons, but a lot of other people are doing so as well and with
support those numbers would grow. already the number of 3rd part addons dwarfs
our own, which is a good thing.

the things we could do to help might include:

* increasing their exposure (is the current download dialog enough?)
* make it easier to publish their content
* offer a community they can participate in that focusses on add-on creation

any others?

> > those additions. i'd prefer something more focused for sending feedback
> > (e.g. bugs) back to the original authors.
>
> shouldn't we know the existence of the bugs?

not if they aren't our own work; i really don't need to be notified of every
bug on every add-on someone creates.

> > how will agregating plasmoids encourage people to hack on libs?
>
> I meant that people with such a move will see that KDE is frameworks
> with a desktop enviroment and not just a desktop enviroment

ah, ok .. certainly can't hurt...

humru othro a kohnu se