which is the roadmap of kdeplasma-addons repository?

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed Jun 15 08:20:17 CEST 2011

On Tuesday, June 14, 2011 16:48:03 Giorgos Tsiapaliwkas wrote:
> I propose to check the repository first and reorder it.We can create
> some extra folders like "QML plasmoids","active plasmoids",etc and
> organize the existing plasmoids better.

what would this achieve? the layout in the module is the "normal" one we have
elsewhere. why would we or anyone else care how a plasmoid is implemented?
note that right now all the plasmoids we ship have at least some C++ in them,
so there isn't much to be gained at the moment by recategorizing them imho.

a repository with QML/JS-only plasmoids would have a purpose...

> Then with some blog posts to promote the existence of the repository
> and the ability of plasma coders to add there their
> plasmoids,something like kde-apps.org.In kde-apps.org everyone is able
> to add there his plasmoid,when in kdeplasma-addons repository only
> some "chosen" plasmoids from the plasma devs will be added.

i think such a thing would really require a different system altogether. a git
repository that is released with the SC is not useful for such a thing, and it
requires

> Of course if this happen,each plasmoid must have its maintainer who
> would maintain it.If it is being decided we can provide also a
> bugzilla for each plasmoid,but the point is the maintainer to be very
> active in order to avoid a second failure of the bugzilla.Moreover

if we opened such a repository to "anybody" i wouldn't use bugs.kde.org for
those additions. i'd prefer something more focused for sending feedback (e.g.
bugs) back to the original authors.

> can motivate more people to get involvrd with the framework part of
> KDE and less with the desktop enviroment.

how will agregating plasmoids encourage people to hack on libs?

> I am highly interested in helping refactoring the kdeplasma-addons
> repository.(Of course if it is being decided.)
>
> What do you think?

i think having a place for 3rd party non-C++ plasmoids to be added and
promoted is a good idea. i don't think it has anything to do with kdeplasma-
addons, and i think we'd need to think hard about what such an effort would do
better / different than kde-apps.org.

i also think that getting plasmate into the best shape possible is even more
important than this.

humru othro a kohnu se