the next step on the desktop

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Jan 31 22:46:18 CET 2011

On Monday, January 31, 2011, Steven Sroka wrote:
> Discourage people from using GNOME 3, by making KDE even better (as
> stated above) and continue pushing it as a formidable desktop and not
> by outwardly and publicly criticizing GNOME devs attitudes. You are
> tip-toeing on a fine line. I say this politely :)

yes, it is a fine line. and i don't wish to start flame wars or make the
situation worse. at the same time, i'm not going to pretend it isn't
happening. it is happening, it is not good for the users of free software and
people should be held accountable to their actions.

i'm not planning on any sort of public campaign or anything, but this is a
situation that many of us, including myself, have quietly tolerated for a
while now. we've tried, numerous times, communicating with GNOME devs about it
and we have not made a lot of public noise about it. now, i'm not planning on
making much public noise about it either, but i don't think we can just hope
for improvement if there are no consequences.

and yes, i think the most positive thing we can do is to make something great
that will attract people to KDE software, and we should continue to do exactly
that.

but if someone asks, i will not shy away from noting the unfortunate current
state of things.

> BTW, why are GNOME devs so uncooperative? I keep hearing they are
> working with KDE...

as is true with any large enough group of people, it isn't an all or nothing
thing. there are those who do work with others well and are doing some good
work to that end.

unfortunately, in the last couple of years, the rate of cooperation has
dropped. this is during the same time span when KDE has been adopting more
external standards and technologies in the name of increasing consistency and
interoperability than ever before: the mimetype database, the icon naming
scheme, dbus, all the *Kit frameworks, PulseAudio and on and on. we've also
been publishing our new work, such as the status notifiers, so others can be
both aware of the work and use them. this is in marked contrast to how we used
to develop 5 or more years ago when we were much more insular. unfortunately,
as we've opened up more, our main cooperating project has been closing down
more.

whether it's the git repository for freedesktop.org specs, the new jobs dbus
system in GNOME3, the new system tray stuff, the changes to the notifications
spec, calling the gtk+ webkit library "libkwebkit.so", etc. the actions have
been away from more cooperation and back towards insulatory practices.

i don't pretend to know why this is, but it is certainly a recognizable
regression from where we all were just a couple years ago. it makes me very
sad. :(

humru othro a kohnu se