the next step on the desktop

Steven Sroka sroka.steven at gmail.com
Mon Jan 31 22:23:44 CET 2011

On 31 January 2011 14:51, Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org> wrote:
> On Monday, January 31, 2011, Alex Fiestas wrote:
>> So, if the situation is as bad as you think it is we should organize a
>> sprint or something and try to fix the current freedesktop situation,
>
> that would require GNOME developers attending with the same goal in mind.
> unfortunately, they have demonstrated repeatedly during gnome-shell
> devleopment that they have no intention to cooperate more. if anything, they
> have demonstrated that they wish to work less with others (and not just KDE,
> btw). no amount of development sprints can force such people into a more
> sensible way of working, they have to want to do so on their own.
>
> it's a sad state of affairs, and very frustrating indeed, but at this point
> the only answer i can think of is to find others to work with (as we did in
> Canonical with status notifiers) and to discourage people from using GNOME3,
> e.g. by providing something better.

Discourage people from using GNOME 3, by making KDE even better (as
stated above) and continue pushing it as a formidable desktop and not
by outwardly and publicly criticizing GNOME devs attitudes. You are
tip-toeing on a fine line. I say this politely :)

BTW, why are GNOME devs so uncooperative? I keep hearing they are
working with KDE...