[RFC] Enforcing Compositing

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Mon Feb 21 17:35:52 CET 2011

On Monday 21 February 2011 12:23:36 Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> <exec summary>
> - let's try it in unreleased master for a bit
> - let's see how Unity and GNOME shell are received
> - let's try to improve communication with Xorg devs
> - let's target it for 4.8
> </exec summary>
Thanks all for the feedback, it helped a lot.

So what we see is that the majority fears future driver regressions which is
completely out of our control. Because of that we cannot enforce compositing.

So I would propose the following action items:
* do not change GUI as a complete rework is required
* target new GUI for 4.8 (don't think it's possible to get it done for 4.7).
Therefore collect also input from Usability team.
* adjust code to enforce compositing in master - disable this before beta
tagging
* improve situation with X devs - in whatever possible way (input welcome)

Thanks all
Martin