[RFC] Enforcing Compositing

todd rme toddrme2178 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 21 20:25:23 CET 2011

On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 11:35 AM, Martin Gräßlin <mgraesslin at kde.org> wrote:
> * improve situation with X devs - in whatever possible way (input welcome)
>
> Thanks all
> Martin

If I am understanding what I am hearing correctly, kwin, gnome 3
shell, unity, and to a lesser extent firefox are all doing basically
the same thing, and are therefore going to run into the same problems.
 If that is the case, what about doing one, or both, of these:

1. A joint meeting, or at least communication, involving these groups
(and probably compiz as well) to try to unify approaches, so everyone
is doing more or less the same things in the same ways.  That would
mean that if there is a problem with xorg, it should effect everyone.

2. Get together and communicate with xorg devs as a group, rather than
isolated projects.  As I mentioned, problems with firefox seemed to
get instant attention, while problems with KDE seemed to be ignored or
blamed on KDE (even though they were the exact same problems).  So
teaming up with developers who have more traction may get better
results.

-Todd