Custom plasma shell

Luiz Romário Santana Rios luizromario at gmail.com
Sat Feb 12 06:14:23 CET 2011

2011/2/11 Martin Gräßlin <kde at martin-graesslin.com>

> ----- Ursprüngliche Mitteilung -----
> > (There's a lot of replies, so I'm going to answer to the topics).
> >
> > As for the "Windows inside plasmoids is ugly" part, when I said my idea
> > was to make applications and plamoids the same thing, I meant it form
> > the POV of the user. Internally, they would remain different -- note
> > that, in my mockups, a plasmoid does not leave background (although this
> > is not very clear, I admit). Actually, they would still remain different
> > at all, just with more interaction.
> Currently Plasma is just a window. The contents of the plasma window is
> unknown to anything outside Plasma. Each other window could just destroy
> your idea by overlapping the interaction areas. To make it work plasmoids
> and windows need to be in the same layer. Either each Plasmoid is a window
> or each window is a plasmoid. For technical reasons the latter is not useful
> with X but might be with Wayland

> > As for "You'll need to create a whole new WM from scratch", I don't
> > understand why. This new plasma shell wouldn't drop any KWin feature a
> > priori, it would just, as I said, make it interact with plasma and,
> > perhaps, hide the titlebar and/or modify window's borders. It would be
> > just like Marco said.
> Yes that gets in the area where a new window manager is needed. Kwin does
> not support the required functionality and it's very unlikely to be added.
> >
> > By the way, how does resizing work? I think KWin sends some kind of
> > signal to the application, but I don't know X, so I don't know. But, if
> > so, could it be used for this matter?
> Resizing is a complex operation involving windowmanager, X and the client.
> >
> > About "KWin scripting is not powerful enough", maybe we could extend it
> > to do whatever is needed. But I don't think it would be necessary --
> > not, at least, in the beginning.
> No sorry extending kwin to support it is out of bounds at the current
> stage.
> >
> > About "Sorry for being the bad guy", there's no problem at all.
> > Actually, I want you to show me what's possible and what's not. My
> > intention here is not to make a shell that resembles exactly my mockups,
> > but rather showing an ideal mockup and see what I can do out of it.
> >
> > Oh, and thank you guys for the answers. I'm doing some more mockups right
> > now, btw.

Well... I see now how it's complex. But what if I removed all this complex
interaction from my ideas for a (big) while and just wanted to create a more
dynamic plasma shell? I mean, I can't have all geometries of all windows
updated at the same time, but I at least can know whether there's any window
opened, can't I -- IIRC kdeworkspace provides a list of opened windows? If
so, we'd have a plasma dashboard when no window is opened and a bar with all
plasmoids iconfied when there are windows, for example. Is that feasible?

--
Luiz Romário Santana Rios