the next step on the desktop

todd rme toddrme2178 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 3 18:10:21 CET 2011

On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 11:54 AM, Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org> wrote:
> On Wednesday, February 2, 2011, todd rme wrote:
>
> what would be helpful is to do a mockup of your ideas below, and keep evolving
> it as we continue the discussion.
>
>> 1. Get rid of favorites from the application launcher.  Focus on
>> making runners easy, intuitive, and clear.  These go in the middle.
>
> don't favourites and krunner do rather different things?

Typo, sorry.  I meant "launchers".

>> 3. Notifications go to the right of the system tray.  This is for
>> symmetry.  Expander for hidden items (which should probably never
>> exist in the first place now) should go on the left.
>
> we found this doesn't work as well because notifications is aways there while
> the other items may come and go, which means movement. so the more stable
> things being towards the middle tends to be better. and yes, that means that
> the system tray should probaby swap order depending on where in a containment
> it is :)

Ah yes, you pointing this out before but I forgot about it.  It isn't
a critical part, except in this case I would put the clock to the left
so it is still next to the notification area.

>> 5. To the right of the application launcher, have a text entry field.
>> This is krunner.  Like the application launcher, it opens horizontally
>
> yes, i'd like to see a plasmoid version of krunner. since the results area is
> already a bunch of QGraphicsWidgets, this should be quite doable. would you
> like to give this a try?

I probably won't have time to work on anything related to this until
at least after 4.7 is out, I'm afraid, due to moving and changing
jobs.

The important bit was the horizontal launcher and krunner.  What do
you think of those?

-Todd