OpenGL and Plasma::Wallpaper

Shaun Reich shaun.reich at kdemail.net
Sat Dec 31 17:10:37 UTC 2011

On Sat, Dec 31, 2011 at 5:17 AM, Martin Gräßlin <mgraesslin at kde.org> wrote:
> On Thursday 29 December 2011 11:21:36 Justin L. Boss wrote:
> Personally I am not a big fan of having animations which would require OpenGL
> in the background. Most of the time the background is not visible, it requires
> resources and puts load on the compositor which has to update the scene
> although nothing changes (full repaints are most expensive).
>
> May I ask why you want to use OpenGL?

Probably because QPainter is dog slow.

Also, I don't think you should be against OGL wallpapers, considering
some really sweet/impressive things could be done with them which
could really make KDE stand out. e.g. a wallpaper playing a moving OGL
scene, movies, virus wallpaper (which is currently a large CPU drain,
and has no HW accel afik). Take Win 7 for instance, how they have
"Dreamscene™" or whatever.

Having features like this is similar to having neat and incredibly
useless OGL window animations (e.g. cube), ergo...everybody wants
them, haha ;)

--
Shaun Reich,
KDE Software Developer (kde.org)