OpenGL and Plasma::Wallpaper

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Sat Dec 31 10:17:21 UTC 2011

On Thursday 29 December 2011 11:21:36 Justin L. Boss wrote:
> Is there a way to use opengl in a Plasma::Wallpaper. Maybe by passing a
> opengl surface to QPainter then having Plasma::Wallpaper display it or does
> the Plasma::Wallpaper except opengl calls?
You could do the same as the GLApplet [1] does: paint to a PBO or FBO, convert
it to QImage and render the image. But this looks like a memory intensive
operation and probably not a good idea.

My recommendation would be to wait till we have QML 2 where everything is done
in OpenGL :-)

Personally I am not a big fan of having animations which would require OpenGL
in the background. Most of the time the background is not visible, it requires
resources and puts load on the compositor which has to update the scene
although nothing changes (full repaints are most expensive).

May I ask why you want to use OpenGL?

Cheers
Martin

[1]