Kickoff-QML and classic launcher

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sat Dec 31 08:37:41 UTC 2011

On Saturday, December 24, 2011 03:29:19 Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > it's really a horrible hack and i'd suggest getting rid of it. people can
> > add the classic menu from the widget explorer like all the rest.
>
> This is just going to make it much harder to switch to a menu people like me
> can actually use. :-( Especially for people switching to Plasma from other
> environments still using old-school menus, this will make it harder for
> them to get started.

the assumption here is that "not enabling the classic menu is a dead stop
preventer from using Plasma Desktop at all for a significant enough number of
people that it must be made so simple that even violating the rest of the UI
consistency and guidelines is ok".

that assumption seems weak and i have not seen evidence to back it.

yes, people who like the classic menu are loud and provide feedback. however,
it's usually of the overly aggressive "get off my lawn!" type and that leads me
to believe it is not a mainstream need.

looking at people's desktops as i travel from event to event around the world,
it also seems that this is not a widely used option.

as it completely violates the UI consistency, it should therefore be removed.

> And I'm not at all convinced that a UI which replaces the entire panel with
> a different template which happens to include a different menu is a good UI
> to replace that.

seeing as for most people who wish this configuration also want things like
win98-style icons on the desktop by default (again, this is based on feedback)
and other similar "make it like win98" tweaks, this is likely going to save
such individuals a TON of time on first set up.

it is also on first set up that this gets done, so other tweaks and set up is
unlikely to be at risk.

if we really are concerned about this, however, the javascript framework is
more than flexible enough to accomodate such a use case. it just doesn't seem
necessary given the real world usage.

humru othro a kohnu se