Kickoff-QML and classic launcher

Shaun Reich shaun.reich at kdemail.net
Sat Dec 24 05:56:35 UTC 2011

On Fri, Dec 23, 2011 at 9:29 PM, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at> wrote:
> Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
>> it's really a horrible hack and i'd suggest getting rid of it. people can
>> add the classic menu from the widget explorer like all the rest.
>
> This is just going to make it much harder to switch to a menu people like me
> can actually use. :-( Especially for people switching to Plasma from other
> environments still using old-school menus, this will make it harder for them
> to get started.

Seriously? Adding a "classic application launcher menu" (or however it
shall be named) to the "Add Widgets" list is more difficult or
confusing to users than right-clicking the application launcher and
being aware that the obscure "classic menu style" actually exists?

I don't see the connection. Right clicking is inherently an action
which requires (a) the user to know he can right click it and (b) the
user to know that an action that he/she may want could actually come
from it. As opposed to a separate widget in the add widgets dialog.

>From what I see, it only makes it less confusing and more unified.
Otherwise you're left with: Should I be right-clicking the Task
Manager widget, hoping for a "classic task manager" option? How about
the system tray? Folderview? News Widget? The list goes on and on ;)

--
Shaun Reich,
KDE Software Developer (kde.org)