Breadcrumbs in Kickoff

Matthew Dawson matthew at mjdsystems.ca
Wed Dec 28 04:36:54 UTC 2011

On Tuesday 20 December 2011 17:54:02 Martin Gräßlin wrote:
> Up to now nobody gave a proper reason *why* we should add a back button.
> Just because we can is no reason, sorry.

First, I understand that the back button is gone and I'm not advocating its
return.

I do think I understand why there is a backlash about this option, and it
stems from two points:

1) The back button was a much larger button to hit.
	According to Fitt's Law[1], the smaller a target is to hit, the longer it
takes.  The breadcrumbs, being smaller, decreases the speed at which someone
can hit the target.  It is readily apparent to me, as I only recently got
introduced to it.

2) The position of the breadcrumbs is on the upper right hand corner.
	People will first look for information to the upper left hand part of the
screen.  With the breadcrumbs positioned where they are, its first of all hard
to find compared to the back button.  I can't remember if people brought up
with RTL languages see upper right hand first, but at least for LTR it is.

Based upon these two points, a couple of simple solutions present themselves:

1) Make the text a little bigger.
	Since users will approach the breadcrumbs from the bottom, increasing the
height will help them hit the button easier.  This will probably require some
fiddling with to ensure the best possible result.

2) At least for LTR, move the breadcrumbs over to the left hand side.
	This will help users more easily find the breadcrumbs and choose an
option.  This also helps with selection, as any overshoot to return to the
beginning, when approached from the right, will hit the edge of the screen and
avoid too much backtracking, making it easier for users to hit.  Note this
only applies in Kickoff's default location, but I don't think most people will
have an issue.

Thoughts?  If these ideas sound useful, I'll try to cook up a patch to
implment them.

Matthew

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fitts%27s_law