Breadcrumbs in Kickoff

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Tue Dec 20 16:54:02 UTC 2011

On Tuesday 20 December 2011 00:33:20 4ernov wrote:
> I also can't see a reason to be so much against any suggestion on
> improve the situation with Back button itself. If it's a question of
> resources to implement e.g. a config option than, for example I can
> work at it. I think nobody wants to spoil new code or new navigation
> architecture or whatever so it would be done very carefully. It's
> unclear why you so against to approve such a work.
Up to now nobody gave a proper reason *why* we should add a back button. Just
because we can is no reason, sorry.

Adding the back button requires a config option. There is clearly no need for
such an option. How should normal users understand such an option? This is a
severe case of featuritis and should not be found in an element of our primary
user interface. This has been practice for Plasma for quite some time. Even
the two existing config options are rather questionable. I added support for
them in kickoff-qml but since then I have been thinking about dropping them
again.

But config option is not the only problem. It's also about maintaining the
code and being able to adjust it in future. Adding such an option would
significantly increase the code size. I expect that the related file would
gain at least 10 % more code and an increased complexity level by at least
two. So maintaining cost significantly increase. And is it worth that for a
feature nobody can argue why it is needed?

To me it is clear that the proper solution is the one Aaron suggested.

Thanks for understanding why we have to do what is the best compromise out of
what is best for our user base and our code base.

Kind Regards
Martin