Breadcrumbs in Kickoff

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Wed Dec 28 08:42:35 UTC 2011

On Tuesday 27 December 2011 23:36:54 Matthew Dawson wrote:
> 1) The back button was a much larger button to hit.
> 	According to Fitt's Law[1], the smaller a target is to hit, the longer it
> takes.  The breadcrumbs, being smaller, decreases the speed at which someone
> can hit the target.  It is readily apparent to me, as I only recently got
> introduced to it.
Fitt's Law is only a valid argument iff the back button is directly on the
left screen edge. So it is fine for our default, for everything else the back
button is in fact rather bad due to Fitt's Law.

> 2) The position of the breadcrumbs is on the upper right hand corner.
> 	People will first look for information to the upper left hand part of the
> screen.  With the breadcrumbs positioned where they are, its first of all
> hard to find compared to the back button.  I can't remember if people
> brought up with RTL languages see upper right hand first, but at least for
> LTR it is.
Yes and that's why I moved it to the left in the new implementation.
> Thoughts?  If these ideas sound useful, I'll try to cook up a patch to
> implment them.
the current implementation will be thrown away soon. So don't waste your time
on working with the C++ code. If you want to work on the QML based kickoff you
need to checkout the branch kickoff-qml.

In general the discussion seems to be at a mood point if people do not know
the work which is going on.

Cheers
Martin