Kickoff-QML and classic launcher

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed Dec 21 17:25:51 UTC 2011

On Tuesday, December 20, 2011 20:51:32 Martin Graesslin wrote:
> My personal favorite is option 3.

3 is a good solution imho ... except that it will break people's installations
who have kde-workspace but not kdeplasma-addons installed. so we can break
this into two applets, but i don't think we can move the classic menu out just
yet.

also, right now the "switch to classic menu" / "switch to kickoff" option in
the context menu works by deleting the existing applet and creating a _new
one_ of the new type. this pretty well sucks as it means settings get lost in
what should be a setting-loss-less event.

it's really a horrible hack and i'd suggest getting rid of it. people can add
the classic menu from the widget explorer like all the rest.

in fact, since we had a thread about the scripting stuff here already, we could
easily add a "Classic KDE" panel script option that creates a panel just like
in KDE 3. heck, it could even change the desktop use icons only. this would be
rather trivial to make happen for 4.9 .. thoughts?

humru othro a kohnu se