Kickoff-QML and classic launcher

Mark markg85 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 21 16:31:32 UTC 2011

On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 8:51 PM, Martin Graesslin <mgraesslin at kde.org>wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> in case this mail appears twice, please excuse. It seems to me like
> Akonadi ate my mail :-(
>
> given that master is going to open soon, I have been thinking about
> merging the Kickoff-QML branch to master. Most is done only minor
> parts are missing except the classic menu.
>
> Due to the fact that I had to fix the models first I doubt that the classic
> menu would compile or work. Now you can imagine that I am not really
> interested in working on it :-)
>
> So a few questions to discuss:
> * Do I have to provide a working classic menu in order to merge the
> Kickoff branch? If yes, would a QML port be OK or should I fix the C++
> code?
>
> * Would it be acceptable to have classic menu broken for some time
> and do the porting later on?
>
> * Would it be acceptable to drop the classic menu completely? This
> would be more consistent with the general concept of having only one
> applet per area. Optionally the classic menu could be re-added in
> Plasma-Addons just like Lancelot.
>
> My personal favorite is option 3.
>
> What do you think?
>
> Cheers
> Martin

Even though i like option 3, i do think you should go for option 1.
The reason for it is simple, some people sadly do like the old menu and i
must admit that the old style looks good for those that want a simplistic
menu. So if you could make the simplistic menu in QML that would certainly
be awesome!

You can make the simple version with some QML effects in it to make it
slightly more appealing ^_-