Kickoff-QML and classic launcher

Martin Graesslin mgraesslin at kde.org
Tue Dec 20 19:51:32 UTC 2011

Hi all,

in case this mail appears twice, please excuse. It seems to me like
Akonadi ate my mail :-(

given that master is going to open soon, I have been thinking about
merging the Kickoff-QML branch to master. Most is done only minor
parts are missing except the classic menu.

Due to the fact that I had to fix the models first I doubt that the classic
menu would compile or work. Now you can imagine that I am not really
interested in working on it :-)

So a few questions to discuss:
* Do I have to provide a working classic menu in order to merge the
Kickoff branch? If yes, would a QML port be OK or should I fix the C++
code?

* Would it be acceptable to have classic menu broken for some time
and do the porting later on?

* Would it be acceptable to drop the classic menu completely? This
would be more consistent with the general concept of having only one
applet per area. Optionally the classic menu could be re-added in
Plasma-Addons just like Lancelot.

My personal favorite is option 3.

What do you think?

Cheers