RFC: Remove Opacity from Alt+F3 menu

Nuno Pinheiro nuno.pinheiro at kdab.com
Fri Aug 19 10:38:49 UTC 2011

A Sexta, 19 de Agosto de 2011 01:15:29 David você escreveu:
> I don't know why do you want to break every single thing. Even the
> most little ones. Is converting user's experience into a nightmare
> your passion?

Nope but we tend to abuse on the amount of things we present to a user at a
glance, wen we do this we pass an image of steep learning curve, and we make
our software less atractive, specialy on this new world of 145 caracter
atention span.
Im not saying we should go the gnome way and simple remove the features. but
we should hide the 1% use features into a place were peoplethst do care will
find it...in this case to me I would put an option to activate this feature or
teach a shortcut to it in kwin configure options...

as for " converting user's experience into a nightmare your passion?"

I like to belive we try the oposite making it simpler for 90% of our users

Me notes we can put yeat more options/features at the root level of any menu
and I'm sure we will find users for them (that the holle point of the feature
any way) but we will end up with uterly unusable UI's like that.
Some rules of thumb.... any list should not have more items than our brains
short memory list aka (7 +- 2) depends on mother language aka 5.

this is not valid for any app ofcourse if you want to send a message that your
app is powerfull and can do many things maybe showing a bit clutered with
features UI is a good thing... For everything else simple is better.

and since kwin basic options is for everyone simple is defenitivly better.

PS sory for typos

--
Nuno Pinheiro | nuno.pinheiro at kdab.com | UI Designer