Why rotate widgets?

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Sep 7 17:12:39 CEST 2010

On Tuesday, September 7, 2010, Markus Slopianka wrote:
> I wonder why Plasma widgets in Plasma Desktop can be rotated. Why would
> anyone need individual widgets to be upside down?

ignoring that "upside down" is leading hyperbole:

on a stationary, vertical screen: aesthetics.
on a screen laying flat or which can be tilted: to make for a more appropriate
viewing angle.
from a development POV it allows us to ensure testing of rotation so we know
it works for other shells that need it even more so but get less testing,
particularly pre-release.

> Isn't this one of those micro-options we once stated to get rid of?

no. it's a fairly commonly used feature and doesn't get in the way of other
items nor other code paths.

why do you ask?

humru othro a kohnu se