Why rotate widgets?

Markus Slopianka markus.s at kdemail.net
Wed Sep 8 03:33:00 CEST 2010

> on a screen laying flat or which can be tilted: to make for a more
> appropriate viewing angle.

Isn't that the responsibility of RandR?
Personally I'd rather have a global tool (KRandR or some other "rotate Activity" tool)
that to rotate Plasmoids individually.

> from a development POV it allows us to ensure testing of rotation so we
> know it works for other shells that need it even more so but get less
> testing, particularly pre-release.

Sounds more like a hidden option.

> why do you ask?
I wondered about that option for a longer time. I never used it and I never found it
useful. Today I once again stumbled over a forum post by someone who wondered why that
"useless" option is present anyway.

Personally, I'm slightly against it but not with my full heart. What I found interesting
is the idea by someone in this thread to add a context sensitive button. With images,
rotation seems somewhat useful. A transparency slider might be somewhat useful for other
widgets...