KDE/kdebase/workspace/plasma/generic/applets/systemtray/core

Chani chanika at gmail.com
Sun Oct 31 11:32:07 CET 2010

On October 31, 2010 11:12:06 Giulio Camuffo wrote:
> > where is the feedback that this was based on? is it from people who have
> > multi-row system trays? vertical system trays? using apps that constantly
> > juggle back and forth (e.g. an IM app that sets itself to NeedsAttention
> > whenever their nick is mentioned)? OCD? ;)
>
> I welcome this commit, i was one of the person who asked Marco to do that.
> :) The problem for me was that one you said: konversation moving on first
> place when a new message appeared and going away after i clicked on it,
> causing me to open akregator or kmail when i wanted to close konversation.
>
> > problem now is that there will often be little to no visual cue as to
> > which items are of elevated concern. i agree with you that this seems to
> > be a step backwards, so i'm wondering what motivated the change.
>
> i don't think moving an icon in the first place gives the user the feeling
> that icon wants attention. I mean, there will always be an icon in the
> first place, but it doesn't always want attention. And a thin separator
> isn't so visible when one watches the systray only for the few Iinstants
> needed to move the mouse there.
> I don't know right now what could be a better way, though.

make it bounce! ;)

hmm. doesn't konversation itself change its icon to an attention-requesting
one?
with the new monochrome icons, I bet a little colour would stand out... after
all that's what the notifications applet does, doesn't it? change colour when
it's got something happening?

--
Chani
http://chani.ca