KDE/kdebase/workspace/plasma/generic/applets/systemtray/core

Giulio Camuffo giuliocamuffo at gmail.com
Sun Oct 31 11:12:06 CET 2010

> where is the feedback that this was based on? is it from people who have
> multi-row system trays? vertical system trays? using apps that constantly
> juggle back and forth (e.g. an IM app that sets itself to NeedsAttention
> whenever their nick is mentioned)? OCD? ;)

I welcome this commit, i was one of the person who asked Marco to do that. :)
The problem for me was that one you said: konversation moving on first place when
a new message appeared and going away after i clicked on it, causing me to open
akregator or kmail when i wanted to close konversation.

> problem now is that there will often be little to no visual cue as to which
> items are of elevated concern. i agree with you that this seems to be a
> step backwards, so i'm wondering what motivated the change.

i don't think moving an icon in the first place gives the user the feeling that
icon wants attention. I mean, there will always be an icon in the first place,
but it doesn't always want attention. And a thin separator isn't so visible when
one watches the systray only for the few Iinstants needed to move the mouse
there.
I don't know right now what could be a better way, though.

Greets,
Giulio