Default activities

Chani chanika at gmail.com
Wed Oct 20 13:35:10 CEST 2010

> There is (IMO) a problem with few of them (from the point of user
> activities opposed to widget groups) - at least with Internet and
> Multimedia ones.
>
> Whatever activity you're in - Work/Development/etc., it is most likely that
> you'll need internet/mail. And you're very likely to listen to music while
> doing these things. So, they break the concept of one activity at a time.
>
> Now, I'm not saying I'm against the idea or anything, just that a few
> things might need some more brainstorming.
>
> Cheerio!

applications can be on more than one activity. :)
this is another reason I it'll be implemented as templates - the user creates
it once, then tweaks the activity to fit their needs.

but yes, the "internet" activity doesn't make so much sense now that I think
about it. I might make a "fun" activity that actually corresponds to "messing
about on the internet", but "internet" itself is not the activity.

hmm. a "research project" template might come in handy... I wonder what that
tends to have. a folderview for the project files, a note or two, a browser
for googling, a set of bookmarks (we need a plasmoid for that - something that
shows a subset of my bookmarks) ..

as for multimedia... hmm. I'd be more likely to create a "movies" activity,
because not only can you not do work while you're watching a movie, but you
probably also want to switch to presentation mode while you're there - no
powersaving, no IM interruptions, etc. :)

--
Chani
http://chani.ca