Default activities

Chani chanika at gmail.com
Mon Oct 18 15:30:03 CEST 2010

On October 18, 2010 14:45:34 Mario Fux wrote:
> Good morning
>
> So I start a new thread to discuss some (possible) default activities for
> KDE Plasma 4.6.
>
> Do I need to add something to the release thing on techbase? Is there a
> freeze near?

soft freeze is october 28th. you should update the feature plan:
http://techbase.kde.org/Schedules/KDE4/4.6_Feature_Plan

> But first I'll go through the comments in aaron's blog and through most of
> the KDE application (in SC and outside).
>
> So here my (not all ideas are originally mine!) proposal for some default
> activities:
> - Development: Kdevelop, Konqueror with api.kde.org open, Dolphin with
> kdesdk open
> - Internet: KMail, Konqueror/Rekonq, Akregator
> - Photo: Digikam, Gwenview
> - Office: KWord, KSpread & KPresenter
> - Graphic: Krita, Gwenview, Ksnapshot
> - Multimedia (or Video and Music separate): Dragon Player, Amarok,
> (kaffeine), Kccd
> - Education: Marble, Parley, Cantor, KPotatoGuy
> (- Or different edu actitives? does it clash with Plasma classroom? And is
> it possible that one provides different activities, probably with GHNS
> integration?)
> - Games: A KDE card game, a KDE arcade game, ...

okay... uhm... these are mostly lists of applications. are you thinking of
adding shortcuts to them on the desktop? what other plasmoids could be useful
for these activity templates?

> This "research" does not include anything about the apps config or nepomuk
> activity application integration as I've trunk not working atm on any of my
> machine (should change sooner rather the later).

config would be an ugly matter I'd rather avoid for now (or forever).

nepomuk integration & context-awareness is a separate todo-item ;)

> The longer I think about the more ideas I've for activites. Can't wait for
> it ;-). Will be a great feature on Plasma but we need to promote it as
> this.

yay :)

> Another idea I had is to take the applications out of the menu categories:
> - Internet activity
> - Graphics actitivy
> - Games activity
> - Education activity
> - ...

meh, categories are boring. :) you could easily make a plasmoid that has
launchers for all the apps in one category. it could even be useful as part of
several of these activity templates. but, I think we can do more than that too
:)

the only thing is... I'm not entirely sure when I'll have time to make plasma-
desktop support activity templates. I kinda overcommitted myself a teensy bit
:P oops.

--
Chani
http://chani.ca