Location dataengine is broken

Thomas Olsen tanghus at gmail.com
Fri Nov 26 14:31:23 CET 2010

On Friday 26 November 2010 13:07:45 Vitor Boschi wrote:
> They answered my question, and the only problem is that now their API
> implements a rate limit.
> Quoting their website[1]:
>
> We do not have a specific daily limit but queries that are at a rate faster
> than 2 per second will be put in "queue". If you stay below 2
> queries/second everything will be normal. If you go over the limit, you
> will still get an answer *for all queries* but they will be slowed down to
> about 1 per second.
>
> So I need answers for the following questions before fixing it:
> 1. Is that rate limit acceptable for the data engine? If it is not, we must
> look for another provider, but sadly I couldn't find anything usable (with
> a free XML API)  yet.

If the data engine uses http://api.ipinfodb.com/v2/ip_query_country.php and
only queries http://api.ipinfodb.com/v2/ip_query.php (including city info)
when absolutely needed this will save an extra request on their site. And how
often is the data engine used? Isn't it mostly when you have to fill out a
config dialog? Then I think a small delay is OK and I can't imagine that it
will become a problem in the near future.

> 2. If so, who should get the api key? The e.v., the data engine maintainer,
> me? They only request for name, email address and website(optional).

KDE e.v.?

--
Best regards / med venlig hilsen

Thomas Olsen

Dropbox and my thumb drive had an epic battle. Dropbox won.
http://db.tt/T0p6d6L