Location dataengine is broken

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Fri Nov 26 22:36:52 CET 2010

On Friday, November 26, 2010, Vitor Boschi wrote:
> So I need answers for the following questions before fixing it:
> 1. Is that rate limit acceptable for the data engine? If it is not, we must

is that for all queries made with the same key? or from one IP using that key?
i assume it's all quieries made with the same key, which would be unfortunate,
because if we have N*1000 users using things that require geolocation, we're
going to hit that limit quickly. for an individual user, it's no problem.

it looks like they are thinking that their API will be used by other websites,
rather than by apps on devices.

another option would be to host our own geolocation db, using this:

http://www.ipinfodb.com/ip_database.php

we could host it on kde.org infrastructure, but would then need to provide our
own implementation of the web API in front of it.

a third option is too look elsewhere.

> 2. If so, who should get the api key? The e.v., the data engine maintainer,
> me? They only request for name, email address and website(optional).

well, i suggest we register it for KDE e.V. and we'll let the board know we
have a gift for them, so that we can get what we have right now working.

humru othro a kohnu se