PMC use case

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Tue Mar 30 14:09:40 CEST 2010

On Tuesday 30 March 2010 13:22:16 Christophe Olinger wrote:
> I think it will be really difficult to have the UI scale from 50"
> screens right down to 5" screens. At the moment we use a top panel for
> playback control (and mode switching) and will use a bottom panel for
> displaying information about media. The bottom panel might be reusable
> for a big screen UI, but the playback control migth have to be
> transformed into something else. Anyway, the way Alessandro designed
> the basic libs behind mediacenter should make it easy to have a second
> UI widget for playback control that could replace the top panel in a
> big screen scenario. I am not even sure that we have to do this. Maybe
> the whole UI does scale up and down nicely. As soon as I get my patch
> in, we can test this.

Yes, something we will find out quite easily. The major difference is not the size
though, but the input method. Pointing is too clunky for a remote, so we're better of
with gestures here. We'll find out more once we experiment with this kind of stuff.

> Concerning your other ideas, Sebastian, they should be implementable
> easily and most of them are part of the initial design already. Did
> you have a look at the techbase page?

Yep, and it's mostly a match. I just wanted to communicate these ideas and some
others. :)
--
sebas