Review Request: Load webslice params from desktop file

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Fri Mar 19 17:05:49 CET 2010

On Friday 19 March 2010 16:51:04 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On March 18, 2010, Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> > It would look like this in the .desktop file then:
> >

> > X-Plasma-Args=http://www.kde.org,#myselector
> >

> > We can pass in those arguments at applet creation and make sure the
> > WebSlice applet does "something" with it.
> >

> > The mechanism ties in nicely with the system (specifying configurable
> > stuff through the commandline args), it's generic (so can be reused for
> > different applets) and is easy to implement (even easier than "beyond
> > simple" I'd say
>
> this would work for the exact use cas at hand.
>
> it doesn't address similar issues such as:
>
> * "how can i ship custom data with my c++ plasmoid in a way that's easy to
> get  at" (having a package would solve that)
>
> * "what does a package that customizes a plasmoid like this look like?"
> (it's  not really a plasma/applet, is it? imagine if we had 900 comic
> strip plasmoids showing up ;)

Right, so a Package makes sense for this case as well.

I think the X-Plasma-Args approach should go in as well, as a nice way of changing
defaults (that can be very useful for applets that do something with the web, where
an initial link might change, for example, or think as default image for the picture
frame for branding purposes).
--
sebas