KDE's Plasma: How not to do lists...

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Thu Mar 18 11:42:11 CET 2010

On Thursday 18 March 2010 10:15:04 Will Stephenson wrote:
> On Wednesday 17 March 2010 14:14:17 Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> > By the way, just strikes me that I've implemented VPN support in the new
> > Network Manager Plasmoid last week, and I've already some reports that it
> > seems to work well. What kind of VPN are you using?
>
> You know that anything you can do in the plasmoid won't make a hair of
> difference to the business end of how the VPN connections appear on the bus
> to  NetworkManager and whether or not they work.
>
> As Reinhold is already using knetworkmanager and is taking a critical
> user's  stance in his blogs, telling him about a new UI that is not yet
> production ready and doesn't resolve the underlying issue is not likely
> impress him, whereas as a hacker he might be distracted by the new shiny.

Or might be able to test wether the new shiny actually satisfies the case he's
complaining about...

> Let's get on with fixing things.

Right, and that is to say that ranting on a blog actively discourages those (me, as
one example) who sit down and make those things work. Note that I don't even use, or
plan to use VPN functionality myself, I've just set up these things here at home to
be able to make it work for others, like Reinhold. Also, his blog is in no way clear
on the underlying issue, so to me, it's not helpful at all.

My offer to help in case there are issues still stands, though.
--
sebas