4.5 polishment: system tray

nuno pinheiro nuno at nuno-icons.com
Sun Mar 7 14:41:10 CET 2010

A Domingo, 7 de Março de 2010 12:35:52 Marco Martin você escreveu:
> On Sunday 07 March 2010, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > On March 6, 2010, nuno pinheiro wrote:
> > > btw could we try to include this work in a possible (cashew,krruner,
> > > specific device systemtry integration? )
> >
> > it's possible, yes. i want to first work on the always-visible-krunner
> > option and then we can take this as the next step. there's a bunch of
> > mildly finicky code that needs to get reworked for that first step.

> > > (would be easy to do if we separate the system try in to 2 parts)
> >
> > the system tray is already completely modular; all pieces can already be
> > separated. so that's the good news.
>
> i'm sorry, but the more i think on this issue, the less i can agree on, i
> really see too many problems with it:
> it would put both krunner input field and the hardware systray icons on the
> desktop layer, and both totally don't belong here.
> hardware systray icons should be always visible, so it's why they should
> stay on the panel, i don't want to minimize all my windows just to fin out
> how much battery i have left.
> also should be possible to use krunner no matter if the desktop is visible
> or not, putting it on the desktop adds layers of interaction to make it
> reachable (skipping on how much is a good idea to have a krunner with all
> runners enabled in the plasma process)

I agree maybe we must come up with a way to make them always visible, I
actually have a couple of ideas for max windows (placing the windeco buttons
in the pannel itself, or placing the panel in such a way it does not stand in
the way of the close buttons ) the only problems would be, non max windows
that are in the vacancy of such a panel....

(still im not sure how such a solution will work visually, the old maemo tried
something like this and I did not liked it much)

> Now, it would be possible to kinda resolve the krunner issue by creating a
> second top level view on that area that appears on alt+f2 in a dashboard
> fashion, but icons would still have the same problem, would require alt+f2
> to show.

actually I was thinking more on a show on over like we do for hidden panels

> another way would be to always show said view, ant that would be way too
> annoying.

any way the current system tray even with fixes is a huge mess, the system
icons make no seance there in that kinda extreme minimal task-bar that every
app seams to want to use.

> so no, i don't think it makes sense to remove from the systray the only
> group of icons that have a reason at all to be in the systray.

heheheh we agree :D typical

just that I'm sure there must be a better answer than this one, one  that does
not involve the need for 2 panels.

The merge of krunner and the configure plasma thing make alot of sense to me,
from  visual point of view, and because we will be able to present  krunner
alot more, (think its by far one of the nicest features in kde sc 4.x series)
but its not something users find easily, + the merge would make the plasma
control thing available at all times, huge bonus for activity management.

> Cheers,
> Marco Martin

nuno pinheiro icon designer
http://nuno-icons.com