4.5 polishment: system tray

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Sun Mar 7 13:35:52 CET 2010

On Sunday 07 March 2010, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On March 6, 2010, nuno pinheiro wrote:
> > btw could we try to include this work in a possible (cashew,krruner,
> > specific device systemtry integration? )
>
> it's possible, yes. i want to first work on the always-visible-krunner
> option and then we can take this as the next step. there's a bunch of
> mildly finicky code that needs to get reworked for that first step.
>
> > > -there are still some bugs in the statusnotifier protocol, like
> > > attentionicon blinking unreliable sometimes
> > > -statusnotifier in org.freedesktop by 4.5? (ok this one is difficult
> > > :p) -anything else?
> > >
> > > notifications:
> > > -still some glitches to look after like the count in the icon wrong
> > > sometimes -maybe a new look for the"i"  icon
> >
> > (would be easy to do if we separate the system try in to 2 parts)
>
> the system tray is already completely modular; all pieces can already be
> separated. so that's the good news.

i'm sorry, but the more i think on this issue, the less i can agree on, i
really see too many problems with it:
it would put both krunner input field and the hardware systray icons on the
desktop layer, and both totally don't belong here.
hardware systray icons should be always visible, so it's why they should stay
on the panel, i don't want to minimize all my windows just to fin out how much
battery i have left.
also should be possible to use krunner no matter if the desktop is visible or
not, putting it on the desktop adds layers of interaction to make it reachable
(skipping on how much is a good idea to have a krunner with all runners
enabled in the plasma process)

Now, it would be possible to kinda resolve the krunner issue by creating a
second top level view on that area that appears on alt+f2 in a dashboard
fashion, but icons would still have the same problem, would require alt+f2 to
show.
another way would be to always show said view, ant that would be way too
annoying.

so no, i don't think it makes sense to remove from the systray the only group
of icons that have a reason at all to be in the systray.

Cheers,
Marco Martin