4.5 polishment: system tray

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Sun Mar 7 15:21:21 CET 2010

On Sunday 07 March 2010, nuno pinheiro wrote:
> > Now, it would be possible to kinda resolve the krunner issue by creating
> > a second top level view on that area that appears on alt+f2 in a
> > dashboard fashion, but icons would still have the same problem, would
> > require alt+f2 to show.
>
> actually I was thinking more on a show on over like we do for hidden panels
>
> > another way would be to always show said view, ant that would be way too
> > annoying.
>
> any way the current system tray even with fixes is a huge mess, the system
> icons make no seance there in that kinda extreme minimal task-bar that
> every app seams to want to use.

yes, but i still think the right place for hardware items is there, what
should be pulled out are all application icons (with all the x11 ones to be
automatically considered belonging to them)
perhaps another systray (or the taskarea component inside the taskbar) to be
placed on the other side of the taskbar...
still not sure it could look terrible but  could also look very good because
would give a bit a sense of simmetry to the panel, and would make sense for
sure

> > so no, i don't think it makes sense to remove from the systray the only
> > group of icons that have a reason at all to be in the systray.
>
> heheheh we agree :D typical
>
> just that I'm sure there must be a better answer than this one, one  that
> does not involve the need for 2 panels.
>
> The merge of krunner and the configure plasma thing make alot of sense to
> me, from  visual point of view, and because we will be able to present
> krunner alot more, (think its by far one of the nicest features in kde sc
> 4.x series) but its not something users find easily, + the merge would
> make the plasma control thing available at all times, huge bonus for
> activity management.

yes, agree on this one, if we find a reliable way to bring it up when needed
krunner here would be great for discoverability (still think it would be
better keeping it off process, with maybe an ipc way to communicate results to
plasma, that would actually draw them, would help a lot also in improving the
netbook ui stability)

Cheers,
Marco Martin