plasma @ akademy

Jeremy Whiting jpwhiting at kde.org
Mon Jun 21 20:13:29 CEST 2010

On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 11:59 AM, Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org> wrote:

> hi everyone ....
>
> i'm starting to work on coordination for the plasma project's activity at
> this
> year's Akademy. i've started this page on the wiki:
>
>        http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Plasma/Akademy2010
>
> (linked to from the main Plasma project page under the meetings header, of
> course :)
>
> as you can see it has a place to list your name if you are attending
> Akademy
> 2010. please add yourself to that list if you are coming and plan on
> discussing Plasma. if you are not going to be there for the whole week,
> please
> append the days you will be there to your entry.
>
> there's a topics for discussion section which is where we can advertise the
> topics we are each wanting to address while we are there. please add your
> personal interests there, but only if you are attending akademy and will be
> wanting to broach that topic. in other words, this isn't a place to dump
> every
> possible topic we can think of. :)
>
> and finally, there is a Plasma Frenzy section with 10 slots available for
> 3-10
> minute presentations. these presentations can be quite informal. slides are
> optional. it'll be much like our openings for Tokamak where we take turns
> noting what's new and of interest in Plasma-land for each other and, since
> it
> is Akademy, others attending who want to keep up with our twists, turns,
> blunders and brilliance. ;)
>
> i'm also considering adding a Plasma Feedback Panel, which would be a
> session
> for us to sit around a room with other interested / concerned KDE folk. we
> would ask and answer the questions those attending have, and discuss ideas
> with those beyond just our own group. the idea would be to help extend /
> expand the reach of Plasma across KDE and for KDE contributors to have more
> input into what we are doing in a constructive atmosphere. what do you
> think?

I think this is a great idea.  I'd definitely attend it, though I'm not sure
what if any questions I've had.  I consider I tend to sit on both sides of
the KDE/Plasma fence (not that it's really a fence, but as one that has
contributed a bit to both sides and doesn't tend to keep up with plasma
motivations, etc. I feel somewhat like an outsider with a bit of inside
knowledge).  For me a bunch of plasma still feels like magic as I've no clue
how to fix itches I have with it (why doesn't the comic applet work these
days, or why does it think last weeks dilbert has no successor for
example).  I really don't expect any answers to these in here. just pointing
out some possible coordination that could possibly happen at such a meeting
I think.

Jeremy