R: Re: R: PMC meeting summary

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed Jun 16 20:06:16 CEST 2010

On June 16, 2010, TRINGALINVENT at libero.it wrote:
> >> I mean... actually there are three
> >> widgets usable
> >> (picture, video, music browser) but it could be useful if the user
> >> could choose to add some
> >> other plasmoids so in the "welcome menù" he can decide to use them, for
> >> example the
> >> webbrowser plasmoid.
> >
> >this would probably be another state altogether, much like the picture and
> >video browsers except that it would browse relevant widgets. i'd probably
>
> call
>
> >it "Apps" or somesuch. from the listing of available widgets, the user
> >could select one or more to launch (full screen of course :)
>
> Yes, it's a good idea.

great; and since you're wanting to charge in on this, please don't hesitate to
ask questions as they arise, either here or on irc in #plasma or #plasma-
mediacenter :)

welcome to the project, btw :)

> I think also that, if the project reach a good
> state, we could start thinking to release

absolutely; it's not a real project until releases get made ;)

> a version of KDE that uses PMC as main eviroment, so there will be a
> standard Kde version, a
> netbook remix, and a mediacenter remix.

my initial plans/hopes for PMC are to ship it as a feature of Plasma Desktop;
both Windows and MacOS have media center apps that ship with them, so this
would draw us to feature parity with them (and above all the other F/OSS
desktop options out there at the same time in this regard :)

that will get us a lot of feedback and testing, as our strongest base is still
desktop users. then we can take that and start doing the work to make a proper
stand-alone system. that will likely revolve around getting the input system
(remotes, esp) working well and uPnp for media. i'd LOVE to see the ability to
stream media from a Plasma Desktop or Amarok to a Plasma MC with "zero" user
configuration. but that can be step 2, after step 1 of releasing it alongside
Plasma Desktop for laptop/desktop users.

what does everyone think about targetting 4.6 for a solid "step 1"? we can do
a tech preview before then if PMC hits some milestones. we can work with
openSuse and/or Kubuntu to roll such a thing. (aka "copy the netbook pattern")

humru othro a kohnu se