Panel configurator when you have a small screen

Alexander Potashev aspotashev at gmail.com
Tue Jun 15 23:28:44 CEST 2010

Hi,

I would like to talk about the panel's configuration panel (aka "Panel
Tool Box"). You can open it by clicking on the cashew on the right of
the KDE default panel.

The problem is that there are a few buttons, and you should have
really short translations of button names in order to see all of them
when you have a small screen (like 1024*something). In the KDE 4.3.3
release with Russian translation the last button ("More Settings") was
half-visible, but that is not a big problem, because you can still
click it.

Having tested 4.4.80 (beta1), 4.4.82 and 4.4.85 (beta2), I saw a
bigger problem: the buttons in the panel toolbox jump left and right
if there is no enough place for all of them. KDE 4.4.4 seems to have a
similar problem, but it's worse in the 4.5 branch.

P.S.: Albert Astals Cid said
(http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-i18n-doc&m=127663452624832&w=2) that
Plasma team has to improve the layouting. I agree, it would be better
than hacking on translations.

--
Alexander Potashev