Panel configurator when you have a small screen

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed Jun 16 02:02:40 CEST 2010

On June 15, 2010, Alexander Potashev wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to talk about the panel's configuration panel (aka "Panel
> Tool Box"). You can open it by clicking on the cashew on the right of
> the KDE default panel.
>
> The problem is that there are a few buttons, and you should have
> really short translations of button names in order to see all of them
> when you have a small screen (like 1024*something). In the KDE 4.3.3
> release with Russian translation the last button ("More Settings") was
> half-visible, but that is not a big problem, because you can still
> click it.
>
> Having tested 4.4.80 (beta1), 4.4.82 and 4.4.85 (beta2), I saw a
> bigger problem: the buttons in the panel toolbox jump left and right
> if there is no enough place for all of them. KDE 4.4.4 seems to have a

that's QBoxLayout ... not even QGrahphicsView related, just a "plain" QWidget
with a "plain" QLayout. do you have screenshots of the problem?

(though 6 buttons in a row _really_ shouldn't take that much space. are the
translations truly accurate and concise? this is essentially a toolbar widget,
so the labels ought to be short.)

i suppose one thing we could do is move "Lock Widgets" into the "More
Settings" layout... ok, i've done that for 4.5, but it's still not a complete
solution just a band-aide.

humru othro a kohnu se