[Nepomuk] Activities protocol

todd rme toddrme2178 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 14 21:33:10 CEST 2010

On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 1:26 PM, Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org> wrote:
>> and this must be done in 4.5,
>
> only if it can be done in a way that is sensible. it won't be able to be an
> optional thing because we can't introduce new strings in the 4.5 branch, so no
> configuration UI is possible. so if it is added, it needs to absolutely work
> because it will not only be the default ... it won't be able to be turned off.
>
> that said, i think it may make work well since it's an active user selection
> to associate the window with the activity, and the window won't be shown when
> a different activity is shown.
>
> what will likely end up becoming a requirement, however, is a way to show
> windows in other activities so that a person may find "that krita window i had
> open ..." without switching to every activity manually. that sounds a bit more
> like something for 4.6, though.

I know that hidden options are highly frowned upon, and rightly so,
but this seems like one of the very rare situations where it might be
considered appropriate.  It would basically be an experimental option
that will be in a configuration dialog in the next KDE release.  The
people who would likely be setting windows to activities at this point
would also probably be the same people who could handle a
(temporarily) hidden option.  Anyone not able to deal with hidden
options probably wouldn't be messing with the per-window settings.
And it would just be a temporary measure, providing some testing for
an option that will be more visible in KDE 4.6.  If you went this
route I don't know whether it would better to have it enabled or
disabled by default, though.

-Todd