[Nepomuk] Activities protocol

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed Jul 14 19:26:49 CEST 2010

On July 14, 2010, Marco Martin wrote:
> i think windows outside of the current activity should be hidden from the
> taskbar, at least by default.

yes, that makes sense.

> and this must be done in 4.5,

only if it can be done in a way that is sensible. it won't be able to be an
optional thing because we can't introduce new strings in the 4.5 branch, so no
configuration UI is possible. so if it is added, it needs to absolutely work
because it will not only be the default ... it won't be able to be turned off.

that said, i think it may make work well since it's an active user selection
to associate the window with the activity, and the window won't be shown when
a different activity is shown.

what will likely end up becoming a requirement, however, is a way to show
windows in other activities so that a person may find "that krita window i had
open ..." without switching to every activity manually. that sounds a bit more
like something for 4.6, though.

> otherwise will cause another ser revolt.

a user revolt because the windows are shown in the taskbar? seriously?

will some people complain? sure. will some throw tomatos at us because of it?
sure, but those people will do that no matter what we do: they are just
looking for an excuse. (and for that reason i have ~zero interest in and
respect for them.) let's make decisions that make sense on their own merit,
not because the "peasants are revolting!".

humru othro a kohnu se